What is Fat Dissolving Injection?
HOW DOES IT WORK
Deoxycholic acid normally emulsifies and solubilises dietary fats in the intestine, and when injected subcutaneously, it disrupts and destroys fat cells in that tissue making it the perfect agent to remove stubborn pockets of fat. The fat-dissolving product works to break down the membranes of the fat cells beneath the skin, causing them to become unstable and eventually flush out via the lymphatic system. This ‘flushing’ process may take around 6-8 weeks.
WHAT AREAS DO YOU TREAT WITH THE FAT DISSOLVER
• Double chin.
• Inner knees.
• Thighs and back.
HOW SOON THE RESULT IS VISIBLE
You will start to notice an improvement anywhere between 3 and 6 weeks. The swelling will usually go down within 48 hours but can take up to a week.
HOW MANY SESSION DO I NEED
You will see the result after first session but most patients require three or four treatments, usually two-four weeks apart.
HOW LONG THE RESULTS/EFFECT LASTS
Safety studies have been done on the long-term results, and “in general, between 75 and 90 percent of patients are still maintaining their response at up to five years.
Does this treatment suit me?
This treatment is perfect for patients with a normal body weight or who are slightly overweight
with stubborn, localized fatty deposits, which prove difficult to lose when on a diet or performing
Side Effects & Complications
- Allergic reaction
- Tissue necrosis (very rare).
- Temporary lump.
Fat Dissolving injection Contraindications
- Acute/Untreated hormonal disorders (e.g untreated thyroid disease, advanced organ disease (e.g., renal/hepatic failure).
- Allergy to the substance or materials necessary for the procedure.
- Severe autoimmune disease.
- Active infection.
- Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD).
The procedure causes minimal pain and lasts around 20-30 minutes, depending on the area(s) treated.
You may notice tiny puncture marks and it is common to have localised redness. A compression garment
may be recommended, depending on the treated area.
- Avoid Aspirin for pain to reduce the risk of bruising or bleeding. Paracetamol is acceptable. Intermittent cooling with ice can be used by applying for 5 minutes post-procedure. A simple fan can also be helpful for discomfort.
- Avoid hot showers or baths for 24 hours after your treatment.
- Avoid self-tan products for at least a week after your treatment
- Avoid active skin creams and exfoliants for at least 1 week until the skin has fully healed.
- Nodules are not uncommon. They can last up to a month and usually disappear without any intervention. However, your Practitioner would need to assess anything unusual.